1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Visited Germany, interviewed for a job that I was later offered! And accepted! And then, improbably, promoted from!
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My 2010 resolutions were: finish the novel, get a new job, read more books, fold the laundry on time, and reduce clutter. I succeeded in getting a new job, I fold the laundry on time (same day) about 90% of the time (although it helps that I watch Gossip Girl on the CW’s website at the same time; we shall see how well I do when it goes into summer reruns!), I read a ton of books this year (some of dubious quality), and the clutter is reduced thanks to Thanksgiving. I don’t know why I ever even entertain the idea of finishing the novel – I have been noodling at it since I was a teenager – if I really wanted to finish it I think 20 years is quite long enough. Anyway, in 2011, I want to dress nicer (ha ha ha!), embrace Tough Love, and have more fun. Oh, and get my Certified Payroll Professional certification – LaineyD, CPP!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Darn near all of you! My brother and his wife welcomed their daughter, Brandy had her twins, etc etc. (Fingers crossed for any of you hoping to give birth in 2011!!!!)
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Germany, the Netherlands, and the airport in Paris. I also ate dinner at the buffet in the Paris Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, but that’s probably not a valid answer.
7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 14, the last day I worked at the old place, July 19, the first day I worked at the new place
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
New job! Promotion!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Failing to tell the CEO of my old employer that his shitty leadership cost him a damned good employee on July 14. (He wouldn’t have cared).
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Root canal, crown, planning on surgery in 2011
11. What was the best thing you bought?
New washing machine. (Geez, am I 33 or 93???)
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Gene’s, for finally starting to come out of it, slowly.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Someone’s ex-something. Stupid whore. (Same answer since at least 2008)
14. Where did most of your money go?
Visa, Germany, the place we bought the couch, and a puta estupida.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Washing machine bells and whistles, relaxing on vacation in Las Vegas and Indiana, new job.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Anything by Lady Gaga or Ke$ha – 2010 was the year that I finally embraced Top 40 radio.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Happier or at least more immune
18. Thinner or fatter?
Fat fat fat fat fat. I think I weigh 900 lbs.
19. Richer or poorer?
20. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I had taken more time off during the 7.5 months I worked at the old place. I think I left there with a week and a half of time off unused. Oh well!
21. What do you wish you’d done less of?
22. How will you be spending Christmas? Xmas 2010: at home, just Gene and I and the dogs. Xmas 2011: maybe more of the same.
23. Did you fall in love in 2010?
24. Any one night stands?
Nothing new on the nightstand front…but we did buy a sofa!
25. What was your favorite TV program?
Gossip Girl, Veronica Mars
26. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No one new, although I am not a member of the Fans of Broomhilda club.
27. What was the best book you read? Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang was good. I read a lot thanks to Bookmooch.com but a lot of it is chick lit.
28. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Top 40 station, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, etc.
29. What did you want and get?
30. What did you want and not get?
Just that one last thing.
31. What was your favorite film of this year?
I don’t remember seeing much in the theater besides Inception and that was very good. Ooh, I forgot about the Oscar Showcase; loved An Education, Inglorious Bastards, etc.
32. What did you do on your birthday?
Mom, Gene and I went to dinner and watched the last couple minutes of the Purdue game while eating at the bar.
33. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
GETTING PREGNANT. It never, ever goes away. Seriously, the year I turn 60 I’ll still think, “Huh, I really thought 2037 would be my year…”
34. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Mediocre, and I just ordered more Old Navy tshirts, so it’s not likely to change.
35. What kept you sane?
Umm, yeah… how about I just tell you about the Post-It note on my monitor at work? It says “BE NICE” and I put it there after saying something not nice about a coworker. So far, my coworkers are fooled.
36. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Blah blah blah Henley c. 1991.
37. What political issue stirred you the most?
Hey, I was shocked to find out there were 3 women on the Supreme Court.
38. Who did you miss?
The Boy. The Boy. The Boy. And Blanche. And Grandma.
39. Who was the best new person you met?
All of the great people at the new job: Bossman, Mrs. Bossman, Bathroom Talker, PattyandSelma, etc.
40. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010:
Check the oven before preheating just in case there’s a metal container of Chex mix inside.
41. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Get a job!