1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
I ran away from home. Never tried that before.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My 2013 resolutions were to read better books from time to time, take more bubble baths, keep taking my meds, dress better and make it to Indiana at least once. I read a lot, mostly better books. I didn’t go great at taking bubble baths 🙁 , I stopped taking all meds except Ambien (this is doctor approved, or at least when I visited the doctor I’d been unmedicated for at least a couple months, so after the fact doctor approved) and made it to Indiana three times! In 2014, I want to take more bubble baths and stop feeling so fucking guilty all the time.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
YES! My friend Julie gave birth to her sweet baby M. YAY! YESS!! HOORAY!!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
April 1, the day I got my new-new-new (?) job.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Being selected for my new job, even though there were two candidates and two available positions. (What I’m trying to say is that I was a given for the job and the job was a given for me).
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not feeling able to call out people when they are wrong. In the fight or flight response, I nearly always vote flight.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I slipped a disc in my back during the summer, which led to all manner of hilarious shenanigans (see question 1).
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My purse. I finally got my dream purse. And it is lovely and it needs to see me through the remains of my 30s.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I really can’t recall if we had any puta estupida antics in 2013. So, yay. But, just in case, fuck her.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Feeding ourselves. We spend a ridiculous amount of money to feed ourselves.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Breaking Bad, Hunger Games: Catching Fire, seeing Book of Mormon.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Blurred Lines, Get Lucky, Thrift Shop, all of those Pink love songs like Just Give Me a Reason.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Happier. I have no idea why or how.
18. Thinner or fatter?
Fat, fat, fat. A thousand times fat. My new fitness goal is to just weigh less than Rebel Wilson but I haven’t had the heart to google it because I just don’t want to know.
19. Richer or poorer?
We’re doing OK. I try not to think about it because if I find we have $5 extra in the checking account, I will spend it.
20. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I’d spent more time with the Almighty D.
21. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I wish I’d spent less time hating my job.
22. How will you be spending Christmas? Xmas 2013: at home, just Gene and I and the dogs. Christmas is on a Wednesday this year so, whatever. Christmas is just Gateway to Year End so the hoopla just makes me sad.
23. Did you fall in love in 2013?
24. Any one night stands?
I’m on the hunt for a one night stand. No, kidding, I’m on the hunt for one nightstand. And a bed. (The nightstand joke never gets old).
25. What was your favorite TV program?
Scandal, Mindy Project, Revenge. A little sick of Glee. Loved the hell out of the final season of Breaking Bad. Ambivalent about Homeland.
26. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No one new
27. What was the best book you read?
Where’d you Go, Bernadette? and Reconstructing Amelia were both good. Did not particularly like Seating Arrangements, the Engagements or Bridget Jones Mad about the Boy (mainly because I am pissed Helen Fielding killed off Mark Darcy. WTF?)
28. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I don’t think I discovered any amazing new music this year.
29. What did you want and get?
The Louis Vuitton Madeleine PM handbag. YAY. This is last year’s What did you want and NOT get item. Thank you eBay!
30. What did you want and not get?
I’m still a little bummed we didn’t go to Vegas for Thanksgiving. Next year!
31. What was your favorite film of this year?
Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Is it time for Mockingjay: Part 1 yet?
32. What did you do on your birthday?
OMG my birthday sucked! I made a cake that I only liked a little and Gene liked not at all. I think I will try to re-celebrate my 36th in 2014.
33. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
This is where I usually post about how much nicer my year would have been if I’d been able to get pregnant. Figuring out that it’s never going to happen is a multi step process and comes and goes in waves.
34. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Blouses, knit shirts, Danskos, beloved Ugg boots and new this year, Duo Boots. And boring ass pants. Believe it or not I generally don’t wear my crappy Old Navy tshirts to work anymore.
35. What kept you sane?
The Internet in general. Playing Canasta on Pogo, Words with Friends. But also the daily Ambien o’clock. My favorite time of day. (Scratch that, my favorite time of day is 6 PM because I have my work ethic’s blessing to, as we say on my team, AMF for the day). (Adios Motherfucker).
36. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Blah blah blah Henley c. 1991. I would still hit that if given the chance.
37. What political issue stirred you the most?
May not be political, per se, but I’d like to put a fork in the “keeping Christ in Christmas” discussion each year. Even the Pope says atheists are OK.
38. Who did you miss?
I miss my grandma. I miss my MIL. I miss the Boy.
39. Who was the best new person you met?
I can’t think of anyone new I met in 2013 but I have seen new dimensions of my boss and he is a bad ass. I don’t particularly like my job (or working for a living) but I totally would go to war for my boss.
40. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013:
Save yourself or you remain unsaved. And going back <> failure. (<> is SQL for ‘does not equal’). (I am such a geek loser).
41. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Just a second we’re not broken just bent
And we will try to love again
-Pink, Just Give Me a Reason